Created for the Pie Dish and Pie Bird
- In a small bowl, whisk yolk and water, set egg wash aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir in apples, berries and butter.
- Line pie plate with one rolled pastry. Fill with apple mixture. Lightly brush the edges with egg wash.
- Place the second pastry on top. Cut a slit in the centre to let the steam escape and place the pie bird.
- Trim and crimp the top and bottom crust together with fingers to seal.
- Brush the entire top pastry with egg wash. Bake for about 55 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling. Cool on a trivet.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 5 apples, peeled, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 cup mixed berries (raspberries and blackberries)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 pastry recipe, rolled into two 12inch circles
Basic Pastry Dough for Pies
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut the butter in using a pastry cutter or two knives, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the water, lifting and turning the flour mixture. Add water if needed, a spoonful at a time, just until the mixture holds when pressed between fingers. Form two discs.
- Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cold, unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- 6 Tbsp ice water
Share this recipe:
Created for: Pie Dish and Pie Bird
Main Ingredient: Apples
Preheat oven 375.
Cooking Time: 55 mins.
Serving Size: 6-8