Created for: Cereal Bowls
- In a heavy bottom pot, over medium heat, add butter.
- Add squash, potato and apple on low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp (30ml) sage and cook, uncovered, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add stock, water and bay leaf to squash mixture, simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While soup is heating, cut remaining apple into thin matchsticks for garnish.
- Heat a small frying pan with olive oil on medium high and add remaining sage leaves. Fry for 30 seconds, remove on to a paper towel lined plate.
- Puree soup in 4 batches in a blender, then heat in cleaned pot over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, season with salt. (Add additional ½ cup (125ml) water to thin, if necessary.)
- Serve soup topped with fresh black pepper, apple matchsticks and crispy sage leaves.
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) butter
- 4 cups (1L) butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ cups (325ml) apples, 1 cup (250ml) peeled and chopped
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) sage
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 ½ cups (625ml) water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. (5ml) olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Main Ingredient: Butternut Squash
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serving size: 6