Created for: Gravy Boat
- In heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, add pan dripping and whisk in flour. Cook, whisking, until roux is deep golden brown and looks shiny and smooth, about 5 minutes (a richly browned roux will add much more flavor than a pale one).
- Whisk in wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring stock to a bare simmer in a small saucepan. Reduce heat and keep warm.
- Gradually ladle warm stock into roux, whisking until incorporated before adding more, and simmer (still whisking!) until thickened (it should coat the back of a spoon), 8–10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium saucepan. Stir in vinegar; season gravy with salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.
- 1 cup (250ml) pan drippings from roasting turkey
- 1/3 cup (75ml) all- purpose flour
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- ½ bunch thyme
- 4 cups (1L) poultry stock
- 2 tsp (10ml) white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp (1ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1ml) freshly ground black pepper
Main Ingredient: Poultry Stock
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 4 cups