Created for: French Onion Soup Bowls
- In a French Oven, over medium heat, add butter, onions, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in wine and cook, stirring, 2- 4 minutes.
- Add stock, water, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Arrange bread in a single large on a baking sheet and toast, turning over once, until completely dry, about 15 minutes. Remove bread from oven and preheat broiler.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme from soup and divide soup among French Onion Soup Bowls. Place a piece of toasted bread in each bowl.
- Divide and sprinkle cheese evenly between soup bowls.
- Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes.
- ¼ cup (60ml) unsalted butter
- 2 lb (1kg) medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ¾ tsp (3ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10ml) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (175ml) white wine
- 4 cups (1L) beef stock
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) water
- ½ tsp (1ml) black pepper
- 6 slices baguette, ½ inch (1.5cm) thick
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) Gruyère, shredded
Main Ingredient: Onions
Cooking Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Serving Size: 6