Created for the Pâté Terrine
- Prepare the terrine by greasing with a little softened butter and lining the base with a strip of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt, vanilla extract and food colouring (if using). Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder, followed by the lemon and yogurt mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared terrine and smooth over the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35–40 minutes until the top is golden and firm to touch or a toothpick comes out clean. After baking, leave the cake to cool in the terrine for at least 15 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- To make the lemon icing, beat together the lemon juice, lemon zest and icing sugar until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the slightly warm cake and allow to set. Decorate with lemon zest.
- Cool thoroughly before storing the cake in the cleaned dish or an airtight container.
For the cake:
- Zest and juice of 2 large lemons
- 4 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- A few drops of yellow food colouring (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the lemon icing:
- Zest and juice of 1⁄2 large lemon
- 8 heaped tablespoons icing sugar
- Lemon zest, to decorate
Preparation Time : 15 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
Serving Size: 6