Created for: Saucier – Chef’s pan
- Heat the stock and keep it warm while preparing risotto.
- In the Chef’s Pan, heat 1 Tbsp (15ml) each of butter and the olive oil on medium low, add the onion and celery, and gently cook for about 15 minutes without colouring.
- In a separate pan, remaining olive oil and sauté mushrooms until tender and juices evaporate, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and turn up the heat to medium. The rice will now begin to lightly fry, keep stirring. After a minute it will look slightly translucent. Add the wine and keep stirring.
- Once the wine has cooked into the rice, add a ladle of hot stock and salt.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer, continue adding a ladle of stock one at a time, stirring each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. This will take around 20- 25 minutes.
- Continue adding stock until the rice is soft but with a slight bite. Taste for seasoning.
- Remove from the heat add sautéed mushrooms, remaining butter and Parmesan. Stir. Place a lid on the pan for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1L) mixed mushrooms (oyster, chantrelle, honey, hen of the woods, button)
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) risotto rice
- 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- ½ cup (125ml) Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup (60ml) parsley, finely chopped
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 6