Created for: Covered Sauté Pan
- Preheat oven to 325 °F (163C).
- Heat a large ovenproof pot over medium high heat and add 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil.
- Sear veal shanks until browned on each side and remove. You may have to do this in batches, adding oil after each batch. Remove veal from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onion, celery and carrot, sautéing until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook one minute more. Stir in white wine, bring to a simmer, then add tomatoes.
- Stir in thyme, oregano and bay leaf. Add veal shanks back to pot, ensuring they are covered with liquid (add water if needed). Bring to a simmer, cover then place pot in oven. Cook for 2 to 2 ½ hours, until veal pulls away from the bone easily.
- Stir in olives and adjust seasoning. Serve with Gremolata.
For the Osso Bucco:
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 lbs (2.7kg) veal shanks pieces (about 1 large or 2 small per person)
- 4 cups (1L) onion, diced
- 2 cups (500ml) celery, diced
- 2 cups (500ml) carrot, diced
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) red wine
- 2 cans (28-oz, ml) diced tomato
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Gremolata:
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) parsley, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) lemon zest, finely grated
Main Ingredient: Veal Shanks
Cooking Time: 3 hours
Serving Size: 6