Created for the 1.7 L Oval Dish
- In a saucepan, bring the cream, milk and vanilla to a simmer, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt together. Slowly pour and whisk the cream mixture into the egg mixture. Set the custard aside.
- Butter the baking dish and pour in ¼ cup (60 ml) of the custard. Sprinkle with half of the fruit.
- Dip the sliced brioche into the remaining custard and then layer in the baking dish, overlapping the slices to build the layers until the dish is full. Let stand for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Sprinkle the dish with remaining fruit and top with all of the custard. Dot with diced butter.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until the custard
is lightly set.
- Preheat the broiler. Dust the Pain Perdu with a generous amount of icing sugar and broil for 1 – 2 minutes, until golden.
- Dust once more with icing sugar before serving.
- 1½ cups (375 ml) 35% cream
- 1½ cups (375 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried currants, rehydrated in hot water and drained
- 1 cup (250 ml) blueberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) raspberries
- 1 loaf brioche, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter, diced, plus extra to grease the dish
- icing sugar, for dusting
Created for: 1.7 L Oval Dish
Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
Serving Size: 6