Created for the 4.7 L Oval French Oven
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
- In a French Oval Oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the bacon, garlic and onions. Stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes or until onions have slightly softened.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, celery and carrots, continue to stir for another
2- 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken (breast side up) and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Cover the French Oven with the lid and place in the oven for 1½ hours, basting occasionally with the pan juices.
- Increase the temperature to 375°F (190°C) and remove the lid, cook for another 20 minutes. Internal temperature should read 165°F (74°C).
- Serve chicken with vegetables and jus.
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup (250 ml) pearl onions,
peeled and halved
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 4 small carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 lb (2.2 kg) chicken
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock
Created for: 4.7 L Oval French Oven
Cooking Time: 1½-2 hours
Serving Size: 6