Created for: .6 L Oval Baker
- Preheat oven to 325 °F. In a heavy, medium-sized saucepan, bring cream and milk just to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth. Add vanilla and cayenne.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in a large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the hot chocolate mixture. Strain the mixture into another bowl. Cool 10 minutes, then skim any foam from the surface.
- Divide custard mixture between the two oval baker dishes, then place them in a large roasting or baking pan with at least 2-inch sides. Create a water bath by adding enough warm water to the pan to come halfway up the sides of the bakers.
- Bake until custards are set but their centers still move slightly when gently shaken, about 40 minutes. Remove from water bath and chill until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead) Cover and keep chilled until serving.
- Top with your favorite high quality ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream and some chocolate shavings.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
Share this recipe:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes