- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the strawberries, honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt until evenly combined. Transfer to the baking sheet, along with the juices. Roast in the oven until slightly charred, about 15 – 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the cake, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cardamom in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Stir with a spatula until just combined.
- Lightly grease an 28 cm fry pan with cooking spray, then pour in the batter. Top with the roasted strawberries and about half of their liquid. Bake until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Serve with powdered sugar or fresh whipped cream.
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Share this recipe:
Main Ingredient: Strawberries
Cook Time: Under 1 hour
Serving Size: 8-10