Created for: Covered Sauté Pan
- Rinse the mussels well under cold water. Pick them over, pulling off any beards and discarding any mussels that are broken or open.
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, shallots, tomato and red pepper flakes, cook until fragrant and soft but not colored, 5- 7 minutes.
- Add the mussels, wine, and half of the parsley. Increase the heat to high, and place the lid on the pan. After 2 minutes, remove the lid and toss the mussels well with a large spoon. Cover the pot again and cook until the mussels have opened wide, another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining parsley and black pepper, give the mussels a final toss, and divide the mussels and the broth among bowls. Serve with baguette.
- 4lbs. (2kg) mussels
- 2 Tbsp. (30ml) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots shallots, finely diced
- 1 tomato, finely diced
- ¼ tsp. (1 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) dry white wine
- ¾ cup (ml) flat leaf parsley, chopped
- to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 baguette, sliced or torn into pieces
Share this recipe:
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4