Created for: Round French Oven
- For the Thai red curry paste, put all the ingredients into a food processor with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of water and blend together for 1 minute into a smooth paste.
- For the curry, heat the sunflower oil in a heavy bottom pot over a medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook gently for 2 minutes without letting it brown. Add the curry paste and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until it starts to smell fragrant. Add the coconut milk, sugar, lime leaves and stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the green beans into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- Stir in the chicken and green beans into the curry and simmer for 4 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes, green beans and bamboo shoots and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the tomatoes are just tender.
- Skim off the excess oil from the surface of the curry, then stir in the Thai fish sauce, lime juice and a little seasoning to taste. Scatter over the basil leaves and serve with some steamed basmati rice.
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 5cm peeled fresh ginger, cut into short thin matchsticks
- 3 garlic cloves- thinly sliced
- Thai red curry paste (see below)
- 2x400ml canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 300ml chicken stock
- 175g fine green beans, topped, tailed and halved
- 700g chicken breast fillet, cut into long thin strips
- 225g small cherry tomatoes
- 200g canned bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- The juice of 1 large lime
- 25g fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Red Thai Curry Paste
- 7 medium-hot red chillies, stalks and seeds removed and the flesh roughly chopped
- 75g peeled fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 6 lemongrass stalks- outer leaves removed and the core roughly chopped
- 9 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 100g shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1½ tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
- 1½ tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Thai shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- ¾ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
Share this recipe:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 6-8