Created for: Cheese Fondue Set
- Rub the inside of the fondue pan with the cut side of the garlic. This imparts a slight flavor to the pot that will not overpower the flavors of the cheese. Discard the garlic. Pour the wine into the fondue pan and bring to a boil over medium heat on the stove top.
- Reduce the heat to low and gradually add the grated cheese; a small handful at a time is a good measure. Stir thoroughly to melt each handful before adding more. Be careful not to add too much cheese at once, or it will become stringy or stick together in a clump.
- Blend the cornstarch with the kirsch or vodka and stir into the fondue. Continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is thick and creamy. Stir in the nutmeg. Add pepper to taste.
- Transfer the fondue pot to the stand with the sprit burner lit. Adjust the flame to a lower heat by moving the lever on the burner to close off some of the holes. A low heat will be sufficient to keep the cheese smooth and warm without sticking.
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups coarsely grated Gruyere or Emmental cheese
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons kirsch or vodka
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 medium baguettes
Preparation Time : 15 min
Cooking Time: Under 30 min
Serving Size: 4-6