Created for: Oval Baker
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, whisk in onion powder and flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour milk in slow steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth; cook, whisking often, until thickened, about 8- 10 minutes.
- Whisk in mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir in 2 cups (250ml) cheddar, gruyere, asiago, fontina cheeses until smooth; stir in pasta.
- Scrape into lightly greased casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheddar and panko. Bake until sauce is bubbly and topping is golden, about 30-25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 4 cups (1 L) cavatappi (scoobi doo or spiral) pasta
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5ml) onion powder
- 3 Tbsp (60ml) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (375ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5ml) dried mustard
- ¼ tsp (1ml) nutmeg, grated
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1ml) cayenne pepper
- 3 cups (750ml) aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (500 mL) gruyère cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (125ml) asiago cheese, shredded
- ½ cup (125ml) fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (250ml) panko bread crumbs
Main Ingredient: Cheese
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 6